Microsoft® Flight Simulator X Demo Release
Thank you for trying the Microsoft Flight Simulator X demo. The Flight Simulator X demo version is pre-release software. These Release Notes outline the features of Flight Simulator X. It also discusses known issues and incomplete features. We hope you enjoy the Demo version of Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
Installing Microsoft Flight Simulator X
To install Microsoft Flight Simulator X:
- 1. Insert the Flight Simulator X Demo CD into the CD drive.
- 2. Follow the onscreen instructions.
If installation does not automatically start:
- 1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
- 2. In the Category View, under Pick a Category, click Add or Remove Programs.
- 3. Under Pick a Task, click Add a Program.
- 4. In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click the CD or Floppy button (this option also works for DVDs), and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Major Known Issues
- At the time we created this demo version, Microsoft Flight Simulator X was not yet complete and work is ongoing.
- The Flight Simulator X demo version is not compatible with the Flight Simulator X beta versions.
- Some aircraft in Flight Simulator X demo may not be finished.
- Some of the incomplete items, such as untextured aircraft models and animations that don't work, are obvious and will be implemented before the product ships.
- You may also notice that the "level of detail", or LOD models are not completed -- as an aircraft moves away from you, it will abruptly swap to a low-detail model.
- Taxiway and apron textures will sometimes exhibit regular patterns of mismatched textures, especially at the intersections of different surface types. Taxiway fillets may appear with texturing different from that of the intersecting surfaces.
- Airport boundary fences currently block out views of terrain and buildings behind them.
- Autogen content (generic bridges, buildings, trees, etc.) and placement are still in progress.
- Autogen exclusion is currently not working properly, so you may see trees and buildings appearing on airport polygons.
- Some scenery objects in this pre-release demo version are not complete and may display as black or incomplete shapes. This will be corrected in the final product.
- The retail version of Flight Simulator X runs on Korean, Japanese, and traditional Chinese Microsoft Windows operating systems. This demonstration version of Flight Simulator X will not run on Korean, Chinese, or Japanese versions of Windows.
- After changing time of day or location in the simulation, terrain textures occasionally won't update, or some textures will change to black or bright colors. To resolve the issue, restart a flight. Cycling views will also occasionally resolve this problem (press S).
- Anti-aliasing is not working on RADEON X300/X550 series cards.
- Anti-aliasing does not work for the Free-Flight aircraft preview window for any configuration.
- Windows in Virtual Cockpit mode may not be transparent in video cards that only support shader 1.1.
- CH throttle quadrant's range of motion is currently limited.
- If you are using an Xbox 360 controller for Windows with Flight Simulator, make sure you plug it in before starting. Plugging an Xbox controller in while Flight Simulator is running may cause problems with control assignments.
- Flight Simulator will not render in windowed mode with Windows Vista Aero/Glass enabled. Disable this feature in order to use windowed mode on Vista.
- Bloom effects are not functioning.
- TOSHIBA: TECRA M4 users may experience a blue screen when altering screen resolutions.
- Shader Model 3.0 card users (GeForce 6100 and ATI Radeon X1300) should update their drivers to see self-shadowing.
- The setup repair function is not working properly. If you have problems with your installation, please uninstall and reinstall Flight Simulator.
- The missions are still a work in progress and are currently being tuned. No known bugs should prevent you from flying the missions in the demo.